June 22, 2012

On turning 2 and pregnant monsters

Molly's 2nd birthday is Sunday, and her party is tomorrow! I am so excited for it. My father-in-law is bringing his pontoon boat, my uncle is bringing his ski boat and wakeboard, and we'll be hanging out at the lake all afternoon. I'm still getting everything together, last minute, in typical Debra fashion. I'm really lucky to have awesome family and friends that are all helping out and bringing food for the party.

I bought the mix and decorating essentials for the cupcakes I'm making at the beginning of this week, which was a big mistake, because I've been dying to make (eat) them ever since. I will finally get to make (not eat) them tonight.

Molly makes me a proud mom all the time, but her compliance with the eye patch has blown me away. Sure, she's taken off several, but she seems to understand that she needs it and doesn't fight with me about putting one on. And she knows when she takes one off, another one is immediately going to replace it. After I put a new one on her, she always says "Do ya like it?" She cracks me up.

The fact that Molly is turning 2 is a little disconcerting to me. I know it sounds so cliche, but I really can't believe 2 years have passed since I walked into the hospital a pregnant monster and walked out a mother. I still remember how scared I was of giving birth and how amazed, delighted, and complete I felt the first time I saw her. We always had high hopes for her, but I never expected my own daughter could be such a beautiful, humorous, intelligent little girl. And little girl she is--no longer a baby, and she seems older than a toddler.

I'm debating heavily on whether or not to make Molly wear the patch tomorrow. I know that running around and playing is a lot harder when you can only see out of one eye, so I'm considering giving her a couple hours off. I just don't want to undo any progress we've made patching her eye 24/7 since Tuesday. I should've asked the doctor about it, but I really wasn't thinking about birthday parties when I heard the diagnosis.

I feel so much better now that I am seeing my friends again. I don't know what happened, but for a period of time, I just didn't hang out with anyone. I have seen 3 of my best friends in the last 2 weeks and it always lifts my spirits. I have always liked hanging out with guys because they aren't judgemental and I appreciate male humor, but there is nothing like hanging out with a girlfriend. Especially when you're married. I've missed the female companionship.

If it isn't apparent, I am dealing with Molly's diagnosis so much better now. Thank you to everyone that is praying for my little girl. The amount of support we've received from everyone we know has been such a blessing. I know that things will be okay and we WILL get through this.

One last thing: I read in a book last night (I can't divulge the title, because you would definitely laugh at me) an inspiring quote from the Bible, in Luke: "God blesses you who weep now, for in due time you will laugh." I really needed that. Maybe you did, too.

Have a great weekend and come back to read me Monday!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reply

The Most Popular Posts: