June 20, 2012

Good news for people who love bad news.

As of right now, my heart is breaking for my daughter. We took her to Vanderbilt Eye Institute yesterday to check on what was wrong with her left eye. When she would watch TV or look out a window, her left eye would migrate up. We assumed it was "intermittent strabismus", like a lazy eye, but after being checked by 3 doctors, we were told she has a cataract in her left eye. The cataract has made it harder for her to see out of that eye, so that explained the way her eye would drift (the muscles have gotten weaker due to not being used as much). I was blown away. I thought cataracts were for old people.

The doctor told us it is essential to keep her good eye patched 24/7 for 2 weeks, until her next appointment. It's one thing to make your beautiful daughter wear an eye patch, but it hurt me so badly to know that we were covering her good eye, the one she predominantly uses to see. And trying to keep an eye patch on a 2 year old is proving to be difficult. We went through 4 patches yesterday afternoon because she kept pulling them off. I decided to wear one, too. Showing some solidarity for my little girl. I wanted to know what it would look like for her to see with only one eye and also wanted to let her know it was okay. If Mommy is doing it, it must be alright!

On another note, a good friend of mine that I've known since kindergarten is coming to visit today. This was good timing because I definitely need some cheering up and distraction. Molly loves having visitors, too.

Please pray for my daughter. It's so hard not being able to help her or protect her.

Until next time.

Debra

4 comments:

  1. Everything will work out just fine!!! Molly is a bright and energetic little girl and if she is anything like you she will get through this just fine! Have faith that GOD will see you all through this and I will be praying for the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Jaxon was 6 months old his mom and I noticed a glare in his eye. Turned out he had a cataract. At 6 months old he had surgery to remove the lense on his eye. For almost a year we had to put a contact in the eye of a baby. Also having to try and patch his good eye so he would learn to use his bad one. After almost a year and a half, he had surgery again to place a corrective lense on his eye. That is why he wears glasses. Legally he is legally blind in that eye. But he is a tropper. Although painful for me as a parent, he has no issues with vision. Being so young and never knowing any different, he thinks he can see fin. He wears his glasses everyday like he is supposed to. It's hard as a parent to watch your child go through that, but I can tell you it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan, I was so relieved to read your comment. I felt like we were the only parents with a child going through this. I've been researching the surgery with the corrective lens and it sounds like she will definitely have to have that. Her cataract is right in the center of her lens. Was Jaxon good about leaving the patch on? Short of super gluing it to her face I'm not sure how to get her to keep one on.

      Delete
  3. My heart goes out to little Molly, you and Michael. I will be praying and trusting in the Lord. Molly has a wonderful mother and father to help her get through this. Debra remember you are protecting her and helping her by being there for her. Wearing the eye patch was a wonderful thing to do for her and I bet she will remember that forever.

    ReplyDelete

Reply

The Most Popular Posts: