June 20, 2012

Good news for people who love bad news.

As of right now, my heart is breaking for my daughter. We took her to Vanderbilt Eye Institute yesterday to check on what was wrong with her left eye. When she would watch TV or look out a window, her left eye would migrate up. We assumed it was "intermittent strabismus", like a lazy eye, but after being checked by 3 doctors, we were told she has a cataract in her left eye. The cataract has made it harder for her to see out of that eye, so that explained the way her eye would drift (the muscles have gotten weaker due to not being used as much). I was blown away. I thought cataracts were for old people.

The doctor told us it is essential to keep her good eye patched 24/7 for 2 weeks, until her next appointment. It's one thing to make your beautiful daughter wear an eye patch, but it hurt me so badly to know that we were covering her good eye, the one she predominantly uses to see. And trying to keep an eye patch on a 2 year old is proving to be difficult. We went through 4 patches yesterday afternoon because she kept pulling them off. I decided to wear one, too. Showing some solidarity for my little girl. I wanted to know what it would look like for her to see with only one eye and also wanted to let her know it was okay. If Mommy is doing it, it must be alright!

On another note, a good friend of mine that I've known since kindergarten is coming to visit today. This was good timing because I definitely need some cheering up and distraction. Molly loves having visitors, too.

Please pray for my daughter. It's so hard not being able to help her or protect her.

Until next time.

Debra

The Most Popular Posts: