August 3, 2012

The money is the motive, said Dwayne Carter.

As a stay at home mom, one thing I really miss is the feeling of independence and pride I used to get from making my own money and bringing home paychecks. Not that I don't enjoy staying home with my daughter, because I wouldn't have made the decision to stay home if I didn't think it would be beneficial for us both to spend the extra time together. I thought there was no way around it: you either stay home with the baby or you go back to work and send them to daycare. But after discovering a group on Facebook called Wilson County Traders Post, I saw other moms like me selling things they no longer needed or never used, either to make room for more stuff or just to declutter. Most only sell a few items at a time, and don't make huge amounts of money, but I started seeing things for sale that I had at home and no longer needed; pack and plays, strollers,  bassinets, walkers, and the like. I decided to go ahead and list a few of my things for sale, hoping to make some extra money in time for my husband's birthday.

After I listed my first items (2 Fisher Price toys) and immediately sold them both, there was no turning back. I found myself actually taking the time to go through Molly's too-small clothes, forgotten toys, and hardly worn shoes. I realized I had tons of clothes that were cute, but too small, too big, or not my style any more. I've been selling on Wilson County Traders Post's daughter site, Wilson County Gently Used Clothing, and I've had so much success with it. It makes me feel great to declutter my home, earn some extra cash, and meet new people.

End public service announcement.

On an unrelated note, I got to see my first article in print today. It's in The Roane Reader on page 13. That made me feel great! I thought my Watertown Gazette article would come out on August 2nd, but found out it will be in the next issue, August 16th, I believe. Writing has always been a hobby of mine, and there is no better feeling than finding success with something you truly enjoy. I haven't made any money from writing yet, but that doesn't bother me. I could earn income in the future after I have my work published in a few more venues.

Tomorrow, Michael and I are going to be working at a wedding, serving and bartending. I've never done this before, so I'm looking forward to the experience. Also looking forward to the paycheck. Lil' Wayne said it best: "Da money is da motive." Yes, Dwayne Carter. I'm with you on that.

I'm sorry there was no humor in this post, but Molly's been crying/screaming/slobbering into my ear all afternoon, and I'll be honest: it's just sucked every ounce of funny from my soul. But don't worry, the funny will come back (I hope).

Stay classy, San Diego.
Debra



1 comment:

  1. Jill, not to discourage you from your good-deeding, but I used to donate everything to Goodwill. It just makes more sense to me to sell it cheaper than Goodwill prices, that way I can use the cash to buy clothes I will actually wear. Plus, I hate asking Michael for money. Talk about demeaning. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Reply

The Most Popular Posts: