July 17, 2012

The too-short snuggle and my case of the gimme-gimmes

Everyone likes getting something for nothing. Me especially. I know that there are a lot of good things about being broke; it's supposed to humble you, make you appreciate the little things, and force you to be creative about doing fun things. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You may not know this about me, but I am a shopper. A real, die-hard, no-nonsense consumer. I like to buy things when they are on sale, even if I'm not entirely sure what they are or why I need them (I can't figure out why I don't have any money!).

So now that our money is no longer for needless shopping, but for serious, no-fun family items and toilet paper, I am going crazy (this is new). That's why Craigslist's "Free" section has saved my sanity. On second thought, maybe it's stealing my sanity. If you've never looked at this section, you're really missing out. Yes, a lot of it is junk (free used toilet, anyone? How about a broken swingset or a hot tub with no motor?), but every now and then, I find a real gem. I mean, I never actually GET these things, but I enjoy looking at them and pretending that I might go pick them up.

Last night, I was on the computer for 2 hours browsing the last 3 months of free stuff. One day, when I'm on my deathbed, I'll think back to that night and hate myself for wasting my youth, but whatever. At least I saw that pretty nice couch and slightly scratched dresser that were available for pickup in some alley in East Nashville.

The whole "free" thing has spoiled me a little. It's like my brain is on permanent tight-wad function now. Every time I see something for sale by the owner, I think about asking to just take it for free. Especially if it's only $10, because do they really NEED that $10, or are they just asking because they think there has to be a money exchange? I keep thinking I'll happen upon some rich person who is swimming in the money (come and find me, Nemo) and just wants to load me up with brand-new items that "don't match the new decor" and send me on my merry little way. That may never happen, but if y'all see me truckin' down the road with that king size bed frame, solid oak entertainment center, and sectional couch for nada deniro, you're going to be green with envy. Maybe.


Molly's new favorite phrase is "So much." Everything, so much. Thank you so much, you're welcome so much, I want to hold you so much, I love you so much (melts my heart), and the less-sweet Shut up so much. I guess you win some and you lose some with children. Molly has also discovered that I can NEVER say no if she promises me a snuggle in exchange for what she wants, but that sneaky child has found a loophole:

Molly: Mama, I want a cookie, thank you so much.
Me: No, Molly, you just ate lunch. You don't need a cookie, thankyouverymuch.
Molly: I will "snoggle" you. Please get cookie.
Me: -runs to get the cookie- Here you are, sweetheart! Now come snuggle Mommy!
Molly: -briefly hugs me then runs away to savor her cookie- Thank you so much.
Me: -crying-


Oh, guess what? I drove today for the first time in a couple months. It was only to the gas station 0.6 miles from my house, but the point is, I was behind the wheel. I may have gone a little overboard with my brief taste of vehicular freedom (blasting the radio, bringing a glass of lemonade, and rolling all the windows down for the 2 minute trip), but I had a nice time. A real nice time.

That is all. Good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reply

The Most Popular Posts: